The role of the Careers team at Ipswich Academy is to support students to make informed choices and develop their opportunities in further and higher education as well as the world of work.
Base group tutors will provide careers education to students across all year groups focusing on developing their personal and employability skills. Tutors will deliver sessions based on the schedule which has been created to meet the criteria of the Gatsby Benchmarks and CDI framework.
Curriculum planning will now incorporate career related learning and the implementation and delivery of this will be evaluated on an ongoing basis by the senior leadership team.
The careers team support you by
- Providing specific careers learning activities for base groups and PSHE lessons.
- Facilitating group sessions and one-to-one support with CV writing, job applications,telephone and interview advice and personal development.
- Supporting students in Year 10 with a varied work experience programme.
- Building strong relationships with employers who can support you with careers learning in the classroom and arrange workplace visits.
- Providing all students in year 11 with a careers guidance session this is delivered by a Level 6 qualified careers advisor. We also ask you to refer to students in other year groups you feel would benefit from career support.
- Coordinating and actively sourcing internal and external careers events including STEM, enterprise and mentoring opportunities across all year groups.
- Encourage students to start thinking about careers and the world of work, perhaps use case studies of successful people in your subject or Invite former students back to talk about their career journeys
- Encourage students to be aware of how they can develop their employability skills during their time at school.
- Help prepare students for work experience and encourage reflection on the completed work experience.
- Encourage students to make use of the resources the careers team
Provides such as Unifrog
- Attend CPD arranged by the careers team to strengthen your knowledge in using careers resources and ensuring careers remains a whole school responsibility
- Encourage students to reflect on the benefits of voluntary work and getting involved in interests in and out of school
- Help students to think about their personal networks and their personal branding to identify and maximise future opportunities
- Careers champions, invite employers in and careers in the curriculum
Useful resources to apply careers within lessons:
- Unifrog – Online Careers Platform https://www.unifrog.org/
- MYPATH : https://www.mypathcareersuk.com/resources
- Careers and Coffee: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRnKexbbDeeAJ6Kobx0P_BQg22dBxI16u
- CEC resource section: https://resources.careersandenterprise.co.uk/
- Talentino: https://www.talentinocareers.co.uk/sen.html