Year 11 consultation letter
18th January 2021
Dear Year 11 students,
Thank you to all those that joined my assembly this morning to update you on the consultation process for GCSE and A Level examinations.
Up to this point, you have all worked diligently and maturely in the face of what I think have been the most challenging circumstances learners have ever faced. Despite this pandemic causing huge disruption to your learning last year and this year, you have all made progress and shown that you are strong and resilient.
We do however need to look to the future. The government is deciding how these grades will be calculated. Again, I need to stress that this is a consultation, no decisions have been made.
Below are some key points that form the consultation:
- assessments to take place in late May/June;
- grades to be based on student current performance and NOT where we ‘think they would be at’;
- teachers should assess students on the areas of content they have covered and can demonstrate their ability, while ensuring sufficient breadth of content coverage so as not to limit progression;
- exam boards to provide papers for students to sit and for teachers to mark;
- an opportunity to use coursework and own papers;
- exams boards to provide support on grading;
- exam boards would then quality assure the approach taken by each school, working together to ensure their approaches are consistent.
Students, parents and carers can comment on the consultation process. Please click on the link.
There were some frustrations voiced in the assembly today, a lot of you feel a sense of anger towards the way in which your exams are being handled. This is your opportunity to have your say. Following this, put your frustrations to good use and apply to your learning. We are all on this journey together and as always, we will support you in any way we can.
My final message continues to be- do not give up! You have been on an incredible journey; turn up to all your online lessons, keep working hard and know that every piece of work you complete will still make a difference.