Planning for Post 16
Dear parents and carers,
Planning for Post 16:
The careers team at Ipswich Academy are here to support your child as they prepare for their next stage in education. This letter outlines all the relevant information that I believe you need to know at this time in order to support your child with their next steps.
In order to prepare students for this we will be hosting virtual assemblies explaining post-16 options from both the careers team and our post-16 partners. In addition, students will also have the opportunity to have a personal guidance session to discuss their available options. Every Year 11 student has access to KUDOS, an online careers platform which they can use at home or school to research jobs profiles, labour market information, post 16 and post 18 support as well as creating a CV.
The government’s current policy is that all young people in England are required to continue in education or training until at least their 18th birthday (https://www.thesource.me.uk/learning/faqs-raising-theparticipation-age/). This means that our Year 11 students must decide about whether to continue studying either at a college, sixth form, training centre or to start employment combined with education on an apprenticeship or traineeship. Due to high demands for apprenticeships or traineeships, we recommend students also apply to college/sixth form as a backup option.
Please find attached to this letter a guide which provides detail about the options available to students, along with what they need to do at each stage to research, apply for and secure a college or apprenticeship place for next academic year.
I have outlined below current dates where Post-16 providers have announced their open events. The providers will then begin to interview students for places in late November/early December.
- Suffolk ONE – Saturday 10th October 9.30-12.30 – Applications open from 10th October 2020
- Northgate – Applications and new prospectus are available from 1st October. Each subject area is producing a short video that outlines the courses available and links to careers opportunities. Interviews will run from November 2020 – February 2021. The deadline for applications will be Friday 29th January 2021.
- Suffolk New College – Virtual open event Thursday 15th October 6pm
- Kesgrave – Open event 29th September 6.30pm – 8.30pm. Applications are open now and will close Friday 29th of January 2021.
- Copleston – check website for dates for virtual open events over the next couple of weeks. Applications are open now.
- St Albans – Check website for open events dates and when applications are open.
I am expecting further information from our post-16 providers in the next couple of weeks. As soon as I receive any updates about open events, applications or virtual tours, I will forward this information on to you.
In the meantime, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at school.